Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

10 Things I Hate About You

The first movie I ever saw Heath Ledger in was 10 Things. It was one of Caitlin's favorite movies, and I must have watched it a dozen times with her. I remember when it first came out thinking Heath was a good actor and would probably go far in his career.

With Brokeback Mountain and now his role as "The Joker" in the yet to be released The Dark Knight, added to his other highly acclaimed roles in Monster's Ball and The Patriot, Heath definitely has made his way in the film industry.


This is the he poem Julia Stiles character, Katarina, wrote in the movie, 10 Things I Hate About You, for Heath's character Patrick Verona. The poem is her interpretation of Shakespeare's Sonnet 141.


10 Things I Hate About You

I hate the way you talk to me
And the way you cut your hair
I hate the way you drive my car
I hate it when you stare

I hate your big dumb combat boots
And the way you read my mind
I hate you so much that it makes me sick
It even makes me rhyme

I hate the way you're always right
I hate it when you lie
I hate it when you make me laugh
Even worse when you make me cry

I hate the way you're not around
And the fact that you didn't call
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you
Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.

And I'll add,

I hate when someone, with so much potential, so much to give, dies at such a young age.

13 comments:

Sunshine said...

I agree, totally. I feel very sad for his little girl who will now only have movies to get to know him by.

Jessie said...

I come home from school and saw Ledger was dead. First it was on FoxNews and then Nancy Grace. Of course, then I decided that, dude, let's go for reliable news: the internet, of course. And he was so, so saddened by the news. I wasn't a large Heath fan, but he was talented. He had that subtle intensity. It wasn't machismo all over the place. Like, in 10 Things, he was simmering when the character needed to be, and in a flash could smile and it'd be different and okay.

There's so much to be sad for about things like this. When someone my age dies, when life and career was barely begun. I loved reading a quote in one article where he said that he was picky over roles because it wasn't quantity but quality that mattered. Heath had such great potential, and unlike some of my generation, wasn't laying in stagnant waste.

His daughter will more than likely be without memories of her daddy, a daddy that apparently loved her with all his heart, and that's a tragedy. I feel bad for all who lost him, personally, and not just the media. But I have to admit, I was appalled at all the pics I saw of the body bag. I heard TMZ was there for it, and I'm sad that I'm not surprised. There shouldn't be that level of gawking. There's a major invasion of privacy there.

First Renfro, and now Ledger.

San said...

"I hate when someone, with so much potential, so much to give, dies at such a young age."

So so sad,especially for his family.

Sherry said...

Amen. And may he rest in peace.

Carrie @carrieloves said...

I hate it too! Renfro?! I missed that last week... now I am two time hater.

Jen said...

I was so shocked when I heard this on the radio yesterday.

I agree - what a senseless, shameful loss of life, nipped in his prime.

Desiree Eaglin said...

it is very sad. he would have had a lot more to give. i just feel really sorry for michelle and matilda, whom will now grow up without a father...

Anonymous said...

Yes it is sad that Heath chose to end his life, a tragedy that will be all over the media now, but live in his family's hearts forever -but what is upsetting is that he is getting all this press when all the soldiers who, his age or younger, die without much more than an obituary column in their local paper. I remember when Charles Gibson was scrolling the names of the deceased service people on his broadcasts....what ever happend to that?

Jen said...

Whoa - anonymous -

No one knows if he overdosed on purpose or not - and isn't there a scroll of our deceased soldiers at the end of that Sunday morning news show? the name of which suddenly escapes me as I try (vainly) to make a point...

All deaths are sad. All. People are all important. Sometimes when we invite people into our living rooms and watch them on the t.v. it seems a little more sad than a soldier we've never heard of before. Not because one is more important than the other, but because we get to feel like we've "known" the famous person.

Sorry to rant twice on your blog, Nancy.

Pink said...

I agree with Jen...all deaths are losses.

I honour the place he played in our culture in poignantly portraying the beauty of some real macho gay love.

What saddens me is that there is so little privacy in this world anymore, that his father, I read, heard about his son's death on the news.

xx
pinks

Jessie said...

Carrie Sue, indeed Renfro died. Check out out Jan 22 on MTV news. I don't wanna break the format on the blog, but it's worth reading.

Dixie said...

Gah what a waste!! He was soooooo hot!! Oh and talented too.

linda said...

I know that because he is well known Heath Ledger is getting a lot of press about his death. It in no way lessens the trauma of loss that other families have experienced over the years, but because it is on display, it higlights just how terrible it is when any young person dies. They should live long lives and when they don't, it is very, very sad.