Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2007

"Elly May Cait"


Do you remember Elly May Clampett, from the Beverly Hillbillies? She couldn't resist any "critter"? I think Caitlin is from the same gene pool. When she decided to move out last August, I knew she'd get a kitten. ( I just didn't know she wouldn't wait until she moved out.)



So it's be all of almost three months and Caitlin calls me saying she is going to take in a 2 year old cat that needs a home. I reminded her that she has a one bedroom apartment with Puma and the manager is unaware of him living there. Two cat's would be impossible to keep hidden. She explained "Jenny" is 2 years old, spayed, declawed and was going to be put down if nobody would give her a home. I advised her not to take her, but of course Elly May Cait took her in.

That was two weeks ago. Straight into the apartment, no vet visit, no checking for fleas or illness ... just come on in, make yourself at home.

Last week Caitlin became aware of the fact that she also gave a new home to a family of fleas.


She couldn't get the cats into a groomer until last Friday, so all last week, every night after work, she was cleaning, vacuuming, spraying the cats and everything down with flea killer. I took all her bedding, clothing, bath rugs, etc. home to wash them. Friday we dropped the cats and flea family off at the groomers. The we treated her apartment, let it air out and brought the cats back.

In 52 years, with all my previous pets, I have never had fleas. I never want to deal with them again. If there is a next time, Elly better hope there is a Jethro in her life to help her out, 'cuz once was enough for me.

No photos of Jenny yet. Taken from her home to live with Puma, then a bath at the groomers has Jenny PO'd enough that she won't come out from under the bed. I admit, she is pretty cute.

15 comments:

Sherry said...

Fleas!!! People with good hearts don't deserve to have to deal with fleas!! What you needed was Elly May's "cement pond" for a good dunking of that new critter..or granny's broom!!!

Nancy said...

Sherry: LMAO @ "C-ment pond" ... good call!

TSintheC said...

I think Caitlin and I would get along JUST fine.

Michael said...

Poor Cait...hopefully the "kids" are in tip top shape soon.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oooh too bad about the fleas! I remember those from a few years ago. Cait has a good heart!

Anonymous said...

Good heavens! I hope the car got fumigated too. Keeping my fingers crossed landlord doesn't catch on. If he does, will them varmints be comin' to live with you?

Nancy said...

tx: yeah, car was cleaned too. Those "varmints" would NOT be coming to live with me, lol

Mary Alice said...

ohh uggghh...well live and learn. I imagine she'll take a stray in for a check up first thing from now on. You are good Mama to help out with all the hot wash!

Casdok said...

They can be a real nightmare!

linda said...

Better fleas than, well, SPIDERS!!!

BOSSY said...

Oy. The school of hard knocks. One of the crimes in life is having to watch your kids travel down some of the same dubious paths.

delmer said...

To quote my dad, Big D, and mostly because I've always kidded that he looks like Buddy Ebsen:

"Animals ain't nothing but trouble."

(Of course, we've always been the type of family to put up with the trouble dogs cause.)

Anonymous said...

Oh, anything but fleas!!! Once is truly enough...

My sympathies and condolences.

Daisy said...

Fleas! We've dealt with small numbers of fleas on our pet rabbits. Darn things. Good luck; be glad she only had a small apartment to clean.

Jessie said...

You know, I'd take in a ton of cats if I could. Mostly cause the cats don't have long in the system before being put down and I wanna save them all. Plus, Noelle needs friends, badly. Cait and I would get along fabulously. And be the cat ladies everyone's afraid of. ;)

Reminds me, I need to scrounge up money for a vet visit for Noelle. She's only 2 years outta date. Oops.